Apptio - Company Financials
Apptio had a revenue of $129 million in 2015, $161 million in 2016, and $188.5 million in 2017. The company predicted a total revenue of at least $233.3 million in 2018. Apptio's net loss was $41 million in 2015, $32 million in 2016, and $26 million in 2017. Its research and development expenses in 2015 and 2017 amounted to $30.55 million and $40.3 million respectively while its sales and marketing expenses amounted to $71.36 million in 2015, $80.2 million in 2017 and $94.7 million in 2018. Below is an outline of its revenue, net loss, and expenditure.
- In 2018, Apptio reported that its 2017 revenue was $188.5 million.
- Apptio's revenue was $161 million in 2016 and $129 million in 2015.
- Apptio stated that its 2018 revenue will be about $233.3 million to $234.3 million.
- Subscriptions account for 82% of Apptio's revenue while services make up the remaining 18%.
- Apptio had a net loss of $41 million in 2015, $32 million in 2016, and $26 million in 2017.
- Apptio's operating expenses for research and development was $30.55 million in 2015, $40.2 million in 2017 and $48.3 million in 2018.
- The company's operating expenses for sales and marketing was $71.36 million in 2015, $80.2 million in 2017 and $94.7 million in 2018.
In order to find Apptio's annual revenue, expenditure, and net income/loss over the past three years, we first examined the company's website. Its press releases section led us to some of its quarterly earnings for 2018, however, we were unable to find earnings for the fourth quarter. Next, we looked for the company's status, that is, whether it is private or public. We found that the company went public in 2016 but was acquired by Vista Partners and removed from the stock market in January 2019. Therefore, its annual reports were removed as well. Fortunately, its earnings were still reported in financial news websites like Macro Trends. Through these websites, we found Apptio's revenue and net income/loss for 2015 to 2017. To find the company's expenditure, we carried out more extensive research and found its 2016 SEC filings. This helped us get its operating expenses on R&D and sales and marketing for 2015 alone. Since more recent figures needed to be found, we looked for transcripts of conference calls regarding its financials. We came across a recent conference call transcript on Barrons. Although this website was obstructed by a paywall, we were able to carefully read its grayed out content. There, we found that in October 2018, Apptio reported its third quarter earnings for 2018 and revealed more financial data such as 2017 revenue and operating expenses. The company also revealed its earnings expectations for 2018. Unfortunately, no net loss/income expectations for 2018 was mentioned. Apptio has not released its fourth quarter earnings and might not do this due to the fact that it is now back to being a private company.