Anglo American Platinum (South Africa) - Strategic Priorities
Some key strategic priorities for Anglo American Platinum (South Africa) in 2020 and beyond include accountable sustainability, building an ethical value chain, and improving air quality in its mines.
Strategic Priorities For Anglo American Platinum 2020 and Beyond
- Anglo American Platinum aims to "establish or support the functioning of existing, local stakeholder accountability forums and national multi-stakeholder dialogue groups by 2020." The company notes that it aims to have accountability at each local mine site in terms of its sustainability goals by 2020.
- In addition, they also aim to establish strategic international partnerships in 2020 to support their sustainability aims and objectives. The company states that all operations will "have a five-year site-level sustainability plan in place by the end of 2020."
- The company is determined to be a leader in sustainable mining in the industry and this priority was listed as a key priority in its annual report to shareholders and stakeholders.
- The company is already working towards achieving its sustainability objectives using its FutureSmart Mining™ programme that is being implemented globally and on a company-wide scale. The company's sustainable mining plan in support of the objective was launched in 2018.
- A key aspect of the company's sustainability goals is ensuring that host communities are thriving. In South Africa, Anglo American Platinum is "building on their decades-long commitment to local enterprise and supplier development in their host communities, for example through their pioneering Zimele programme in South Africa, by assessing development opportunities at regional levels."
- Also, the company's data shows that they are making progress towards their "2020 water targets of reducing absolute freshwater abstraction by 20% (as compared to the projected business as usual (BAU) consumption), recycling and/or re-using water for 75% of their global water requirements and recording no Level 3 (or above) incidents in the year."
Ethical Value Chain
- A key priority for Anglo American Platinum in 2020 is to ensure that at least half of its operations are certified to agreed responsible mining certification standards, including their operations in South Africa.
- The company also aims to achieve an industry-wide responsible sourcing standard in 2020.
- This is identified as a key priority as it is listed in the company's annual report as a key strategic goal for 2020 and beyond.
- The company already has a high sourcing standard and is helping small suppliers meet its sourcing standards. Currently, the company is focused on increasing "support for entrepreneurs in communities around operations, with local procurement currently accounting for around 21% of our total expenditure with suppliers."
Improving Air Quality
- One of the company's key priorities for 2020 is for its Rustenburg Platinum Mines in South Africa to achieve their air quality target by 2020, in compliance with the 2020 MES.
- This was identified as a key priority because the company identified this as one of its strategic goals in its annual report to stakeholders.
- "Rustenburg Base Metals Refinery (RBMR) and Precious Metals Refinery (PMR), which are responsible for product delivery and compliance to external requirements, have environmental management systems certified against the new ISO 14001:2015 standard."
- Currently, the company is on course to achieve the goal as it had already achieved 96% compliance for mining (including in concentrators) as of 2018.