Andrew Marks Profile
Andrew Marks is the managing director and the head of Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) Distribution of Artisan Partners UK LLP. He is responsible for the strategy and business development across several regions, especially in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Latin America, working closely with each of the firm’s autonomous investment teams. Detailed below is more information on his personal background, education, work history and experience, work accomplishments, business philosophies, and links to recent press articles about him.
- Andrew Marks is currently based in London, United Kingdom, but he has lived in Oxford, Godalming, and Birmingham.
- He speaks five languages, and these are English, French, Galician, Italian, and Spanish.
- After completing his degree in Hispanic Studies at the University of Birmingham, Marks worked as a freelance musician for three years, from July 1996 to January 1999.
- He’s a member of the Old Carthusians group on LinkedIn. Old Carthusians is a group that serves as an opportunity for former pupils from Charterhouse School to get in touch.
- He is interested in Simon Sinek, author of famous books on leadership, such as "Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action" and "Leaders Eat Last: Why Some Teams Pull Together And Others Don't."
- Andrew Marks attended Dragon School Oxford from 1982 to 1986 for his elementary school education.
- For his high school education, he attended Charterhouse School in Godalming, “one of the UK’s leading independent boarding schools,” from 1986 to 1991.
- Right after high school, he attended the University of Birmingham and completed his degree B.A. Hispanic Studies in 1995.
- In 2009, he attended the Residential LESF Programme of INSEAD, "one of the world’s leading and largest graduate business schools."
Work History and Experience
- In August 2011, Marks joined Artisan Partners as managing director of Artisan Partners UK LLP, which is part of the Global Equity strategy of the firm. Roughly two years later, he also became the head of EMEA Distribution of the UK arm of the firm.
- Before joining Artisan Partners, Andrew Marks worked for T Rowe Price for a decade. He joined the company as a business development executive in 2001 before being promoted to director of the Southern Region, which includes Southern Europe, Switzerland, and Latin America in September 2007. In January 2010, he became the director of T Rowe Price in the UK & Ireland and held the same position until he left the company and joined Artisan Partners in August 2011.
- Marks also worked for Initiative Europe as head of institutional research for private equity and venture capital for almost three years, from February 1999 to September 2001.
- Andrew Marks is a member of the ICI Global Retirement Savings Committee at the Investment Company Institute since May 2016. ICI is a leading association representing regulated and mutual funds globally.
- He is also a member of the Philanthropy Committee at Nordoff Robbins, the UK's leading independent music therapy charity since June 2016.
- He is an RSA Fellow since December 2016. RSA—or the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures, and Commerce—is a global community of proactive problem solvers, uniting people and ideas to resolve the challenges of our time.
- According to Andrew Marks, Artisan Partners' Markets Strategy and High Income Strategy emerging first in the Emerging Market Equity in U.K. and the US High Yield Bonds (USD) universe, respectively, in the 2017 CAMRADATA Independent Quantitative (I.Q.) scores and rankings is due to his talent-driven business model that is designed to attract and retain talented investment professionals focused exclusively on active, high value-added investment strategies as well as that of his team.
- The vast majority of Artisan growth in 2017 was from clients in EMEA, and Andrews drove this. "As of March 31, 2017, 18 percent of the firm's $103.8 billion in assets under management was sourced from clients outside the US, including over $3 billion in its UCITS fund complex in Ireland."
- Andrew Marks emerged one of the top finalists in the 2019 Professional Pensions Rising Star Awards in the Adviser of the Year category.
- Andrew Marks believes that "skilled active management can deliver positive outcomes for investors and society." The types of strategies Marks' team manage across all asset classes are "at the most active end of the spectrum, with little or no regard to benchmarks."
- Marks also believes that the "shared purpose and commitment to higher value-added investing" have allowed them to keep a single, integrated brand over time.
- Marks added that everything they do at Artisan Partners is designed to create an investment culture that allows their talent to thrive. He said, "The foundation of the firm’s strategy is to continue to promote our business model of attracting, developing and retaining talented investment professionals. Unlike fund selectors, the company focus on buying talent, as opposed to renting it, so its emphasis is very much on the longer-term."
Recent Articles Published about Andrew Marks
- He was featured in the May 2019 issue of the Investment Europe where he talked about the "artistic approach" of Artisan Partners in asset management.
- Andrew Marks was one of the speakers in Fund Marketing Distributions in 2019. He is also the moderator of the said discussion. The discussions are about evolving fund flow trends and investor behaviors.
- In this 2019 Global Fund Media article, Artisan Partners UK has received external seed funding to formally launch the firm's World UCITS Fund.
- Andrew Marks, together with Jason White, the portfolio manager on the Growth team of Artisan Partners, was one of the presenters in this BrightTalk 60-minute webinar titled, "Finding Growth in a Maturing Bull Market." To listen to the webinar, interested parties need to sign up.