Skittles - Advertising Strategies
Skittles has utilized many advertising strategies to their advantage, including some unconventional strategies. As a result, they have experienced increased sales, recognition, and social media followings.
OVERVIEW OF ADVERTISING STRATEGIES
- Skittles seems to bring in a variety of people from different ages, demographics, social classes, backgrounds, etc. They especially appeal to young children and teenagers with their humorous advertisements.
- Based on a Candy Store survey in 2018, Skittles was voted the number one candy among Americans for Halloween.
- Skittles utilizes easy-to-understand words, colorful images, and catchy sayings to engage their audience and gain their attention.
- According to advertising CEO Gary Vaynarchuk, Skittles has been praised for not being afraid to use CPMs to get creative with their advertising on social media sites, like Facebook.
INNOVATIVE ADVERTISING APPROACHES
- In June 2017, Skittles came out with white colored candy in honor of the Gay Rights Movement. Although it sparked some criticism, it brought in plenty of support from the LGBTQ+ community and all the proceeds went to charity, according to TIME Magazine.
- In February 2019, Skittles decided to step outside their normal Super Bowl advertisements and create a nearly 40-minute Broadway musical advertisement, according to Kantar Media. This unique tactic caught the interest of theater lovers and quickly spread word about their candy.
- In 2018, Skittles releases a campaign stating that they would show their Super Bowl ad to one lucky super-fan. Super Bowl watchers then watched on Facebook Live as the super-fan, Marcos Menendez, reacted to the commercial; this resulted in five billion impressions and a 7% increase in sales, according to the Digital Marketing Community website.
ADVERTISING INFLUENCE ON BRAND SUCCESS
Brand Success Metrics:
- In 2019, Skittles received an honorable mention from the PR Week U.S. Awards for their "Exclusive the Rainbow" campaign. They commended the company for their increased social media attention and their increase in sales.
- Skittles was nominated for a Shorty Award for their activity on Twitter.
Influence of Advertising:
- Skittles has won nearly 40 awards just from their one-day Broadway advertisement, according to LinkedIn.
To come up with the answer for this request, we had to first research simple information about Skittles: their target audience and the message they're trying to convey through their commercials. Since there was no statistical data to go on, we researched specific articles that discussed who is a part of the audience and what their wording conveys to them.
Next, we researched the interesting ways that Skittles has advertised its product, through professional reviews of the campaigns and how they affected the U.S. market.
Finally, we researched certain awards that Skittles was nominated for due to their stellar advertisement skills. Since Skittles has been nominated for many awards, we had to condense it down to some of the most relevant and recent awards. Skittles' success, especially on social media, has resulted in many improvements within the company, such as increases in revenue and more.