America's Top Dog (Feb 27)
A social media audit for Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook found only a single tweet that referred to both America's Top Dog (#americastopdog) and Chewy (#chewy) together on the dates of February 14-27, 2020. We have entered this into the project spreadsheet.
- We analyzed Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram from February 14 to February 27, 2020, using both the platforms' native search engines and external search engines.
- We first looked at any post tagged America's Top Dog (#americastopdog) and reviewed to determine if they mentioned Chewy. Then we did the process in reverse, looking at posts tagged for Chewy (#chewy) and determining whether America's Top Dog was mentioned.
- Twitter provided the single result for the specified period. Due to the robustness of Twitter's search engine, which enables combining multiple hashtags, this proved fairly simple, though we also conducted a visual survey under the separate hashtags to determine the likelihood of an untagged mention. Due to the constraints of a single Wonder request and the sheer number of tweets, this survey was necessarily incomplete but, as it provided no additional examples, indicated that the likelihood of an untagged mention is very low.
- We used a similar process for Facebook, including surveying the most relevant profiles. Chewy receives hundreds of posts a day from customers and so a complete survey was not possible; however, a review of over 100 posts found no mentions of America's Best Dog. We also surveyed A&E's page and found no mentions. We had previously located a group for America's Top Dog by A&E but, due to being a closed group that requires approval to join, we could not survey its posts. Despite an exhaustive search, we located no posts mentioning both America's Top Dog and Chewy.
- For Instagram, we began with #Chewy (notably, the link to Instagram on the company website points to the hashtag, indicating that they have no Instagram profile of their own). This resulted in several hits for personal pets not connected to the brand, a couple for the brand in which we found no mention of America's Top Dog, and a couple of Star Wars-related posts. We switched gears and pulled #americastopdog posts. After looking at every post from Instagram for the period in question, we found no mentions of Chewy. Finally, we pulled posts tagged #chewycam, which returned only a handful of irrelevant posts.
- Fan awareness of the link between America's Top Dog and Chewy, or at least articulation of that awareness, has declined since our previous survey.