America's Top Dog (Feb 13)
A social media audit for Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook found only four tweets that referred to both America's Top Dog (#americastopdog) and Chewy (#chewy) together on the dates of January 30 to February 13, 2020. This includes one tweet from January 29th which was posted after our previous survey was completed. We have entered these into the project spreadsheet.
- We analyzed Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram from January 30 to February 13, 2020, using both the platforms' native search engines and external search engines.
- We first looked at any post tagged America's Top Dog (#americastopdog) and reviewed to determine if they mentioned Chewy. Then we did the process in reverse, looking at posts tagged for Chewy (#chewy) and determining whether America's Top Dog was mentioned.
- Twitter provided all results for the specified period. Due to the robustness of Twitter's search engine, which enables combining multiple hashtags, this proved fairly simple, though we also conducted a visual survey under the separate hashtags to determine the likelihood of an untagged mention. Due to the constraints of a single Wonder request and the sheer number of tweets, this survey was necessarily incomplete but, as it provided no additional examples, indicated that the likelihood of an untagged mention is very low.
- We used a similar process for Facebook, including surveying the most relevant profiles. Chewy receives hundreds of posts a day from customers and so a complete survey was not possible; however, a review of over 100 posts found no mentions of America's Best Dog. We also surveyed A&E's page and found no mentions. We did find a group for America's Top Dog by A&E but, due to being a closed group that requires approval to join, we could not survey its posts. Despite an exhaustive search, we located no posts mentioning both America's Top Dog and Chewy.
- For Instagram, we began with #Chewy. This resulted in several hits for personal pets not connected to the brand, a couple for the brand in which we found no mention of America's Top Dog, and a couple of Star Wars-related posts. We switched gears and pulled #americastopdog posts. After looking at every post from Instagram for the period in question, we found no mentions of Chewy. Finally, we pulled posts tagged #chewycam, which returned only a handful of irrelevant posts.
- While there is at least some fan awareness that Chewy is a sponsor of America's Top Dog, and the posts referencing the partnership are positive in tone, references to it in social media are extremely rare.