Good Karma and RXBAR are some examples of DTC brands that have developed successful ambassador programs. Some best practices to develop a successful ambassador program include adding a mix of ambassadors and empowering ambassadors. More information regarding direct to consumer health food and beverage or health supplement brands that have implemented successful ambassador programs among teens and millennials, as well as best practices for developing a successful ambassador program is provided below.
Successful Ambassador Programs
- Good Karma Foods, a plant-based milk and yogurt producer, needed "a scalable, cost-effective solution to build brand awareness, product buzz, and demand." To solve this problem, the brand developed a blogger ambassador program.
- With the help of SchroderHaus, the company developed materials and messaging for blogger ambassadors, which share the brand's story and products with their audiences.
- As of 2018, the company achieved product awareness in about 600 thousand target consumers. This brand focuses on millennials, as their consumption of "functional plant-based beverages on-the-go" has increased in the last few years.
- Also, the brand's website traffic increased by 10% each month, its page views increased by 30%, and it generated over 2,000 new email subscribers. This program also helped achieve a "600% increase in average weekly coupon downloads," helping obtain direct product sales.
- Good Karma has been considered a DTC brand as it sells its products via its Amazon site.
- In 2018, an influencer and ambassador program helped RXBAR, a healthy protein bar producer, to become the "coolest health bar on the planet." The brand focuses on millennial consumers.
- Through this program, influencers and brand ambassadors took pictures with RXBAR products in the gym, outdoors, and similar places.
- RXBAR also hired rapper Ice-T as its brand ambassador. The rapper filmed commercials for the brand and shared his participation on Twitter.
- The program also helped engage with 1,000 influencers, which had an average of 17,300 followers each.
- RXBAR has been considered a DTC brand because its sells its products through its website.
Best Practices to Develop a Successful Brand Ambassador Program
Add a Mix of Ambassadors to the Program
- A brand should have a diverse team of ambassadors that include customers, influencers, and employees. This is considered a best practice because this diversity could bring different perks to the program.
- To invite top-performing influencers, brands can have an "always-on application" on their official website that contains the program details. To invite customers, it is best to use emails, social channels, paid advertisements within the application, or a referral program. To invite employees brands can also use email, internal messaging systems, or a referral program.
- Also, many companies use manual social media searches, software programs, and manual application processes to find their brand ambassadors. For example, ambassador customers can be found by searching social media users that have posted about their love for the brand.
- The company Lululemon is a good example of this practice, as the brand has a mix of ambassadors, which include locals, influencers, and elite athletes.
- It is important that ambassadors are always recognized by the brand. Ambassadors can be rewarded with products, money, free products, gift cards, or other forms of prizes. This is considered a best practice because it is a great way to show ambassadors how much you value their support.
- It is also best to share the brand's product with ambassadors as this practice shows that the brand "acknowledges and respects their contribution."
- Investing in ambassadors that are helping to build up a brand's reputation is better than using them and not reward them.
- A good example of this practice is General Electric, which celebrates their ambassadors on their @GEVoices channel.
Continuously Communicate with Ambassadors
- Many brands communicate with their ambassadors through email or other tools to keep them updated on brand promotions, as well as other brand issues.
- Experts also advise asking for ambassadors' feedback in order to help to have successful campaigns.
- This is considered a best practice because some ambassadors "may not be traditional influencers," and it is useful to build a relationship of trust.
- A good example of this practice is Deloitte, which has a good communication system with its employee ambassadors as it "asks each team member what they want to be known for online."