Alcoholic Seltzer Popularity Insights
The most significant factors that are driving the recent popularity of alcoholic seltzer products are the taste & flavor, the summer season, the accessibility and the popularity across a generation of consumers. The themes/motivations that are fueling the growth of the segment is that alcoholic seltzer is a tasty treat that appeals to many of the health-conscious customers and it goes well over different sexes or generation because it doesn’t taste like bad as stated by Calvin Dunaway.
OVERVIEW OF ALCOHOLIC SELTZER POPULARITY
- According to the vice president of Indiana Beverage, Pat Flynn, the increasing market sales of seltzers is a phenomenon because it increased by a staggering 280% in sales.
- The popularity of alcoholic seltzer products is a vibrant and fast-growing segment in the alcoholic beverages market.
BIGGEST FACTORS DRIVING POPULARITY OF ALCOHOLIC SELTZER
Taste & Flavor
- The alcoholic seltzers in the market are fused with fruit flavors. Companies are having their takes and version of this beverage like White Claw’s black cherry.
- According to the vice president of Indiana Beverage, Pat Flynn, “the seltzer bubble leaves a lighter aftertaste as opposed to the heavy one that beer can cause, which makes it a great summer beverage option.”
- Alcoholic seltzers can be mixed to make boozier cocktails that can be adjusted to consumers’ taste that is why it is considered as a beverage drink of choice.
- According to the president of Wachusett Brewing Company, Christian McMahan, this trend is a completely different game.
- They are a different brand that is producing a flavorful variety of alcoholic seltzers like Midway Brewery, Thrillist’s Lee Breslouer, White Claw and Lift Bridge.
- According to Greg Dunaway, a creative director for Scottsdale, “he would rather punch himself than to drink sugary alcoholic drinks that would give him hangover the next day."
- He added that alcoholic seltzer is a good substitute to those sugary alcoholic drinks in the market
- Many brands of alcoholic seltzer do not sacrifice the taste for health benefits like Truly Spiked and Sparkling.
- The brand focuses on healthy, flavorful fruits like wildberry and pomegranate.
- Another flavor variety was made by the Constellation brand.
- The brand uses a taste profile form botanical space with same low calories and natural flavor as other seltzers. The brand claims that its edge against all competitors is the sophisticated flavors.
- “Spiked seltzers are often flavored naturally with hints of fruit like lemon, lime, cranberry, pear, strawberry, blueberry, peach, watermelon, mango and many more. Herbs like basil and rosemary also show up in spiked seltzer flavors as do refreshing veggies like cucumber.”
- Many alcoholic drink companies are producing seltzers and acquiring production plants like “Bon & Viv Spiked Seltzer” and “Truly Spiked & Sparkling” contributing to many distributors already in the market.
- Consumers have begun requesting alcoholic seltzers from different bars and restaurants after the product release of Indiana Beverages.
- According to Nielsen 2019 survey, the beverage can be accessed easily because the survey revealed that ready-to-drink seltzers could be bought to grocery stores, and it is the most convenient way to have a cocktail.
- According to the CEO of Archer Roose, Marian Leitner-Waldman, alcoholic seltzer best selling month is summer.
- According to reports by Nielsen, the sales of alcoholic seltzers reached 47.2% last summer between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
- Flynn added that due to the beverage’s bubbles, it leaves a better aftertaste compared to heavy malted beers.
- The bubbles and the flavor makes seltzers an excellent summer beverage option.
- According to the president of Wachusett Brewing Company, Christian McMahan, alcoholic seltzer is a summer drink for a hot day.
- Dunaway added that seltzers are a great partner to summer barbecues.
- Alcoholic seltzer is considered as summer’s buzziest and boozy drink.
- According to WP Company, the warm weather contributes to the continuous popularity of seltzers because companies are introducing new brands in the market.
Popularity Across Generation of Consumers
- The popularity of alcoholic seltzers is attributed to the healthy drinking habits of millennials.
- According to Rob McMillan, the Silicon Valley Bank’s wine division founder, the younger generation is the primary consumer of the alcohol drinks, and it appeals to both men and women of all ages.
- According to Svedka’s marketing campaign, females are the main drivers of the purchase of seltzers.
- White Claw brands consider both men and women as the target market for alcoholic seltzers.
- Seltzers consumers consider the beverage to be a unisex drink.
THEMES/MOTIVATION FUELING THE GROWTH OF ALCOHOLIC SELTZER
- The popularity of alcoholic seltzer is attributed to the healthy drinking habits of people today.
- According to the vice president of Indiana Beverage, Pat Flynn, the trend is brought about by the mindset of consumers towards health-conscious living, and it starts with what they put inside their bodies.
- According to Rob McMillan, the Silicon Valley Bank’s wine division founder, “seltzer resolves the problem of sweetness that has plagued the flavored malt beverage category over the years.”
- According to Greg Dunaway, the alcoholic seltzer is a tasty treat that appeals to many of the health conscious customers.
- According to the vice president of Indiana Beverage, Pat Flynn, the summer season contributed to the continuous sales of alcoholic seltzers making it even more popular not just in the specific area, but also nationwide.
- According to the market research conducted by Nielsen, the summer season contributes to the full swing and growing popularity of seltzers to drinkers.
- According to Dunaway, the alcoholic seltzer is enjoyed by both males and females because “it doesn’t taste like crap.”
To identify the most significant factors that are driving the recent popularity of alcoholic seltzer products, we searched through media articles, news report, and press statements that talked about the alcoholic seltzer brand. We also looked into some market analysis. We then used the given metric as the basis to identify why these factors are considered the biggest drivers in the recent popularity of alcoholic seltzer products.
Here is the list of the metrics we used:
- The factors should be mentioned or discussed by industry experts across different articles and media statements as the significant factors which drives the recent popularity of alcoholic seltzer products.
- Famous brands in the market should acknowledge the factors as the primary reason why consumers/drinkers are patronizing them.
- The factors should be according to consumer reports, market analysis, and surveys from trusted sources.
After identifying the most significant factors based on the metric, we then proceeded to explain what drives the popularity and how it was changing the market industry. Additionally, we made sure that the research was US-focused and that it provided some themes/motivations that are fueling the growth of the segments.