AirBnB: Social Impact
The two additional programs for social impact, philanthropy, and advocacy that have been undertaken by Airbnb include Home Sharing Club and Global Citizenship Champion program.
Home Sharing Club
- Airbnb is encouraging the invention of Home Sharing Clubs to assist owners to come together to advocate for fair home distribution laws in their communities.
- The company has about 400 Clubs operating in communities globally.
- The expanding "network of hosts, guests, small business owners, and local community leaders are leading the way in demonstrating how home-sharing clubs benefit neighborhoods around the world."
- Airbnb has a group of 25,000 members on Facebook who are currently involved in the program.
Global Citizenship Champion Program
- Airbnb launched its Global Citizenship Champion program in 2013. The program involves coordinating charitable donations to causes that are important to the local communities around the world.
- The company's employees receive 4 hours of "paid time off every month to volunteer in their local communities."
- In 2016, Airbnb employees logged over 17,000 hours of community service.
- The company also partners with "different organizations within local communities, sharing office spaces with nonprofits, donating food to shelters, and donating funds received from the sale of used equipment."
To provide two programs for social impact, philanthropy, and advocacy that have been undertaken by Airbnb, the team started by reviewing the company's official website for any mentions of additional programs separate from the Donations Feature and The Open Homes Program. Through this approach, we found two additional philanthropy and advocacy programs undertaken by the company. Next, we conducted further research through, press releases, articles, blogs and more for additional details regarding the positive impact the programs have on the society. Unfortunately, there were limited details on the impact of these programs on the society. The team also tried to confirm if there were other social impact, philanthropy, and advocacy that have been undertaken by Airbnb; hence the ones found did not disclose their impact on the society. We confirmed that these were the only programs undertaken by the company in addition to the ones founded in the first research.