US Affluent Traveler Psychographic Profile
Relaxation, adventure, culture, romance, and new experiences are some key motivators for affluent travelers.
- Affluent travelers are travel enthusiasts, early adopters, experimenters, and heavy spenders.
- Affluent travelers are leading the way in experiential travel, with more of them seeking to have more authentic, unique, and immersive travel experiences.
- Social media plays a significant role in their vacations, particularly for millennial women in this category. It is also a source of inspiration for many of them.
- Affluent travelers have 13 key motivations when traveling. They include "relaxation, adventure, culture, romance, new experiences, meeting new people, learning about other cultures, learning about themselves, eating great food, physical activity, learning new things, personal growth, and connecting with family."
- Affluent travelers exhibit six travel attitudes, including pioneering, transforming, learning, pampering, indulging, and challenging.
- PIONEERING — They want to be the first in their circle of people to visit a destination, try a new vacation, or accommodation.
- TRANSFORMING — Some affluent travelers believe that their travel experiences should change them and the way they see things.
- LEARNING — Some believe that a vacation should be educative.
- PAMPERING — Affluent travelers are willing to pay premiums to be treated specially.
- INDULGING — They see traveling as an avenue to focus on the things they love to do, e.g., eat and drink.
- CHALLENGING — Affluent travelers want to engage physically and be challenged when on vacation.
- By personality, affluent travelers can be classified into wellness seekers (17%), active challengers (38%), sightseers (59%), cruisers (35%), historians (17%), and gourmands (30%).
- Wellness seekers are "confident risk-takers and opinion leaders, stylish and design-driven, tech-savvy early adopters, and extremely influential across multiple categories."
- Active challengers are lovers of sports and automotive, environmentally conscious, risk-takers, and are concerned about their appearance. This category stands out from the average affluent traveler in terms of "physical activity, adventure, and learning new things."
- The sightseers are usually very focused on their homes when they are not traveling. They love food and drink and are environmentally conscious. This category of affluent travelers prefers to see, learn, and experience new things.
- Cruisers pay attention to their ethnic/cultural heritage and are considered to be very traditional. They are influential in the "financial, travel, and home categories", and prefer to travel in groups. They are stylish and appreciate fashion and design.
- Affluent historian travelers want to broaden their knowledge and experience history. They are usually sophisticated and culturally savvy.
- Gourmands love to try new foods and beverages and are attracted to locally sourced foods.