Advertising Agency Customer Journey
Startups typically seek the services of marketing agencies once they have assessed their own capabilities and decided that they can gain more marketing mileage by leveraging the expertise of these agencies. They typically discover these agencies through recommendations from their network or from the agencies' blogs and social media accounts. Startups were also observed to decide on those agencies that are more aligned with their direction and rate of growth.
Advertising Agency Customer Journey
- Compared to more established companies, startups have certain objectives and requirements that are specific to their business status. Some of those requirements might be similar to what more established companies need but there are still many differences.
- Early-stage startup companies are typically impulsive when it comes to deciding whether they need an agency.
- Sometimes, the decision can come out of the blue as founders often make these decisions to hire an agency on a whim.
- Start-ups and companies of all sizes also often decide on engaging the services of an agency if their internal marketing strategy is not producing the desired business results.
- Based on an article from a marketing agency, startups are typically advised by their consultants to determine first their organization's goals before engaging the services of marketing agencies.
- They should check first their available budget for the entire duration of the engagement with the agency.
- Startups are also advised to fully understand what they really want to gain from an agency such as a larger social media reach, awareness of the products that they offer, or other requirements.
- Startups also need to select between smaller agencies who are more focused on specific targets or those who can cover all.
- After evaluating what they want, startups typically conduct some market research to get some recommendations from their network before choosing an agency.
- Startups also typically look at how an agency markets itself to determine the right one for them.
- They also peruse through case studies to know more about the results that the agency was able to deliver to their other clients.
- Startups can also listen closely to those agencies who are pitching their ideas to determine if they can really provide the solutions that they are offering.
- Startups and other types of companies also look at agency blogs, social media posts, and media articles to know more about the agencies that can serve their needs.
- Startups also typically ask help from consultants to help them decide on the right agency to engage.
- They were often asked to use some recommended framework to help them decide on the right agency to use or if they really need an agency.
- They were often asked to evaluate the key elements in the framework as they start to formulate a marketing strategy.
- One key area that startups need to look at is their brand and visual identity requirements.
- They would have to decide if they just need simple design elements or a full-blown visual entity to strongly position their brands.
- Startups also need to decide on whether they only need an informal brand identity or a complete brand promotional package that includes brand vision, voice, and usage guidelines.
- For their marketing and communication requirements, startups also need to consider if they need help with their content, messaging, and the layout of their marketing site.
- Startups would also need to decide on whether they need outside help to formulate and execute their social media strategies.
- They will also need to evaluate their overall strategy that will cover other types of marketing channels such as email marketing, product launch campaigns, and others.
- They also need to fully understand the problem that their product will address and their target market.
- Startups will also need to decide if they need agency help to design and test their solutions.
- They are also urged to think about how the content, UI, screens, animation, audio, video, and other key pieces will fit into their masterplan.
- Consultants also advised startups to determine if they need a well-designed premium marketing solution at this stage or if a simple working solution can work to get them to be noticed by customers and investors.
- Answering these questions can help startups decide on the right agency.
- To further help them find the right agency, startups are advised to completely assess their business in terms of size, stage, and culture.
- They will need to evaluate the rate that their business is growing to determine the right agency that can grow with them.
- Startups are also urged to assess the direction of their company. They will need to determine if their business ideas are specialized or revolutionary.
- They also need to evaluate if their focus can be easily shifted to more lucrative goals or if there are obstacles that need to be addressed first.
- Typically, startups with clear targets who wish to accelerate their businesses are advised to go for established agencies that can provide premium services.
- For those who are expanding rapidly due to unanticipated demand and with no clear direction yet can opt for smaller-sized agencies.
- Consultants are also advising startups to ask their network of friends and colleagues to discover the right agencies who can meet their needs.
- Based on their work with startups, marketing experts are also advising these companies to define exactly what they are seeking in advertising agencies.
- Agencies typically focus on only a few aspects of marketing such as Facebook ads or SEO.
- Startups with limited budgets should then focus on those who can deliver the right techniques that are considered as the "lowest hanging fruit."
- Experts are also advising startups to look for agencies who have already provided their service to similar startups in the industry.
- They are also urged to follow the examples of other startups who have worked already with agencies that have been recommended to them.