Accounting Firms - Focused on Working with Startups: Canada and New Zealand
We have provided a competitive landscape on the twelve accounting firms that are focused on working with startups and SMEs in Canada that were curated in the initial hour of research. These companies are BDO, Entreflow, Avalon, SRJ, GTA Professional Accounting, Stonehenge Accounting, Enkel, Crowe Soberman, KRP, Future Balance, Grant Thorton, and Williamson Accounting. For each accounting firm, we have provided One: their website, Two: a description of the company, Three: services offered for startups, prioritizing the accounting and financing services, but also providing any other services that look relevant, Four: their value proposition/values/mission statement, Five: their clients that are listed on their website, Six: financial data which will include any publicly available revenue, and if appropriate, their funding data, and Seven: locations they serve and/or where their all their offices are located. We have placed all of this information in a custom Google spreadsheet in the tab clearly marked "Canada", so that each company can be compared easily.
We want to note that originally we had KPMG as the 12th accounting firm for Canada, but we replaced it with Williamson Accounting after reading the note about New Zealand and the fact that only NON "Big 4" accounting firms were of interest. The "Big 4" are represented by PwC, Deloitte, Ernst & Young, and KPMG, and we will not be including any of those firms in this research.
We want to bring attention to the fact that there is a tab for New Zealand, but because this research was not selected, we did not proceed with this part. We did note the remarks re: "[n]ew Zealand: [t]hanks for identifying the fact that, not surprisingly, the "Big 4" accounting firms popped up Ibis World's top-level economic report. Per your note, yes confirming that I'm only interested in other NON "Big 4" accounting firms if that information is readily available ... not sure if this would take 12 hours, though."
It would indeed take 12 hours. We would need to hand curate 12 of these specific accounting firms as there are no precompiled lists available, and then proceed with the competitive landscape. However, as noted, without the consent to proceed, we did not complete this part. It is our understanding the New Zealand part of this research will now be done by another analyst, and at a reduced scope covering fewer companies. This will be sent on separately.
While the entire Canadian research can be viewed in the custom Google spreadsheet, we have presented five highlights specifically surrounding Entreflow in the following bullet points.
- Entreflow positions themselves as a "boutique consulting firm with a highly unusual team of 25 finance legends, HR leaders and systems ninjas." They are a licensed public practice CPA accounting firm, as well as a licensed recruitment agency, which they feel sets them apart and gives them a competitive edge. Their team specializes in "supporting start-ups and scale-ups that have a big vision. [They] have hands-on expertise in the complex operations and finance of technology and manufacturing companies. [They] help [their] clients set, track and crush their goals." They are an award-winning team "that has earned Elite status with Intuit Quickbooks, Xero Partner Advisory Council status, and a Top 50 Cloud Accountants North America award." The company leadership team members "are often invited to speak at international conferences and webinars about how we help companies grow and scale through effective Finance, Accounting and HR."
- They offer accounting & finance services, HR & recruitment services, marketing consulting services, and software implementation consulting. When digging into the accounting and finance services, they provide CFO services, accounting systems consulting, cloud-accounting and online bookkeeping services, and business tax services. They also are very upfront about their pricing, which can be viewed here.
- Entreflow asserts that they "are passionate and talented business consultants, accountants, marketers, recruiters, entrepreneurs, food enthusiasts, pet lovers, travelers and tech savvy people. We work, play and grow together to craft the best finance, HR and marketing strategy for startups and small businesses."
- Entreflow freely lists their client's on their website. Some of them include Jetstream, Watertec, Market Meats, Outshinery, Flow Ventures, Hydragas, and Medstack.
- They have locations in Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, and Toronto.