Accessory Dwelling Units- California Laws 1
Analysis for the laws surrounding accessory dwelling units in California has been performed.
- They have been entered into a spreadsheet, along with keywords for filtering.
- This research brief focused on the following briefs. The remaining six will be covered in two additional research briefs.
- Assembly Bill No. 2299 Chapter 735
- Assembly Bill No. 2406 Chapter 755
- Senate Bill No. 35 Chapter 366
- Certain areas were covered multiple times. There was multiple areas mention several times. Guidelines surrounding units per lot, density, land use, utilities, parking, setbacks, fire sprinklers, and square footage were discussed. There are multiple regulations surrounding approval times for permits.
- The state has prohibited lot size requirements, parking, open space restriction, and application waiting times.
- Local governments must comply.
- The California Department of Housing and Community Development provides guidance on ADUs.
- After analyzing the nine bills, many duplicates were noticed. An additional tab has been created with all duplicate lines removed.
- A filtering function has been added to the keyword column.
- Please note that neither Google Sheets nor Excel had the capabilities for multiple options to be selected from a drop down list, therefore filters were applied.