3D printing competitive landscape
3D Systems and Materialise are two additional competitors to Carbon, Stratasys, and EOS in terms of industries served, products/services, and geographical presence (customer base). A competitive landscape of these five companies including details on their headquarters, manufacturing locations, revenue, industries served, products/services, value proposition, competitive advantage, innovation investments, names of primary brands/companies they work with, partnerships in apparel-related 3D printing, and mergers and acquisitions has been provided in the attached spreadsheet. A brief overview of the findings can be found below.
Carbon (Carbon 3D)
- Being a privately-held company, Carbon does not disclose its revenue. According to the estimates by Forbes, the company's revenue will surpass $100 million in 2019.
- Carbon has raised more than $680 million in funding and has a valuation of $2.4 billion.
- In the footwear and apparel industry, Carbon has partnered with Adidas and Riddell.
- Stratasys earned $157.5 million in revenue in the third quarter of 2019. The company's 2018 annual revenue was $663.23 million.
- In the footwear and apparel industry, Stratasys has partnered with threeASFOUR, Travis Fitch, Nike, Brooks Sports (Brooks Running), and Peacocks Medical Group.
- EOS North America, a part of EOS, does not have a dedicated website. The company's official website contains information on its operations in North America and across the globe.
- Being a private, independent company, EOS does not disclose its revenue. According to Forbes, sales from the global operations of EOS Group (EOS GmbH and sister companies) amount to $400 million.
- In the footwear and apparel industry, EOS has partnered with Under Armour and Aetrex. The company has also partnered with New Balance for SLS technology.
- 3D Systems earned $155.3 million in revenue in the third quarter of 2019 and a total of $464.5 million in revenue in the first nine months of 2019. The company's 2018 annual revenue was $687.7 million.
- In the footwear and apparel industry, 3D Systems has partnered or collaborated with Timberland, Wiivv Wearables, Grosso, Macboot, and Converse. The company has also partnered with New Balance for SLS technology.
- Materialise earned €50.45 million or $55.95 million in revenue in the third quarter of 2019. The company's 2018 annual revenue was €184.72 million or $204.87 million.
- In the footwear and apparel industry, Materialise has partnered or collaborated with RS Scan International NV, HP (for 3D-printed footwear), Phits™ Insoles, Adidas, and Tailored Fits.
To find additional competitors of Carbon, Stratasys, and EOS, we first determined the position of these three companies in the 3D printing industry. A review of several market research and industry reports including reports by MarketWatch, Mordor Intelligence, Markets and Markets, and Research and Markets indicated that Carbon, Stratasys, and EOS are frequently mentioned among the top players in the 3D printing industry. We also determined that these three companies have a global presence and offer similar products and services including hardware and/or software products, 3D printing materials, and 3D printing services. In addition, these three companies also serve similar industries including automotive, aerospace, healthcare/medical/dental, consumer products, manufacturing/machinery and equipment, academia, and life sciences/lifestyle, among others.
Hence, we analyzed the other key players mentioned in the industry reports to shortlist two additional competitors that serve customers across the globe, offer hardware and/or software products, 3D printing materials, and 3D printing services, and serve at least 4-5 of the above-mentioned industries. To further narrow down the competitors, we looked for any partnerships and collaborations they have with footwear and apparel brands and companies. We then shortlisted 3D Systems and Materialise as our two additional competitors since they meet all of the above-mentioned criteria. The annual report of Stratasys also listed 3D Systems and Materialise among its competitors. We then completed the competitive landscape of all five companies in the attached spreadsheet.