2020 Travel Trends
Seven additional 2020 trends related to general, luxury, and baby boomer travel are underground supper clubs, DNA trips, deep dive travel, wellness travel, luxury train travel, solo travel, and multi-generational travel.
UNDERGROUND SUPPER CLUBS
- Mystical food-fueled get-togethers are surfacing throughout the world. These clubs are designed for people who like more community-minded culinary experiences.
- The event features a "pop up dinner" involving new people who are trying new foods in a new destination. The dinners are usually prepared in a home setting by a mystery chef.
- Sometimes the menu or location are known beforehand, others only share the menu and location after confirming the reservation.
- The excitement of this kind of dining is that the participants typically do not know what to expect. They can be part of a group of around 30 strangers who gather to savor a culinary adventure.
- Some popular clubs and restaurants in the US include the Naked Lady Room in NYC, Hush in DC, and the Sunday Dinner Club in Chicago.
- Underground supper clubs are considered a trend because many clubs are involved and it was identified as a trend by two travel industry sites.
- There has always been an appetite for visiting the homeland of one's ancestors. However, the difference is the increasing accessibility of DNA technology.
- DNA trips, also known as "ancestral tourism" are becoming more popular. Companies like 23andMe and Ancestry are taking advantage of the interest through their DNA-based travel offers.
- Travelers can view a visual breakdown of the origin of their ancestors and get a trip planned based entirely on their roots. They can also get a map containing their origin percentages by the relevant area/country.
- This kind of travel is so popular that a recent survey found that 23% of international guests in Scotland are visiting the country based upon ancestry.
- DNA trips are considered a trend because many people are interested in it and it was identified as a trend by a travel industry site.
DEEP DIVE TRAVEL
- People are desiring to get more from their vacation than simply a great hotel and several tours.
- They are becoming interested in getting a deep dive into their passions such as "learning from their favorite photographer, chef, artist, winemaker or musician".
- People want their vacation experience to rise to a new level.
- They want to enjoy the destination and explore their passions.
- Deep dive travel is considered a trend because many people are interested in it and it was identified as a trend by a travel industry site.
- While it is not new to get a wellness break or yoga retreat, wellness and travel are expected to become further intertwined in the future.
- Holistic health is at the core of any major luxury travel experience.
- Packages include "a farm-to-table experience, organic pampering products, and complementary mind and body offerings".
- CBD is also making waves as a result of the recent legalization. Offerings which include CBD spa treatments are becoming increasingly popular.
- Wellness travel is considered a trend because it is getting more popular and it was identified as a trend by an industry expert.
LUXURY TRAIN TRAVEL
- Although it seems to be something that was popular in the past, interest in luxury train travel is coming back.
- There is more opportunity for people to experience a very high-class train trip experience all over the world as many trains are being put back in shape.
- Packages include "five-course meals, swanky bedroom accommodations, and lavish decor throughout".
- The difficulty involved in changing hotels, managing airlines and car rentals have made many people to consider luxury trains.
- Not having to worry about packing bags or traffic enjoying luxury and still getting to visit hard to reach locations make luxury train travel a huge trend in 2020.
- Luxury train travel is considered a trend because it is getting more popular and it was identified as a trend by two travel industry sites.
BABY BOOMER TRAVEL
- Baby boomer travelers, especially female boomers, are increasingly traveling alone. The solo trend has skyrocketed in recent years.
- Solo travelers typically want to get engaged in group activities and also take time out to explore things on their own.
- They want use their freedom of choice as an opportunity to meet the people children of the communities they visit.
- This increasing demand is expected to continue into 2020.
- Solo travel is considered a trend because many people are interested in it and it was identified as a trend by a travel industry site and a marketing site.
- Baby boomers are increasingly traveling to luxury villas. They typically want to bring their entire family to spend quality time together.
- They get value for their money with luxury villas because it costs far less compared to a luxury hotel with the same number of rooms.
- They have the freedom to cook, enjoy private facilities such as swimming pools, tennis courts, beaches, and hot tubs.
- The location of the villa is usually located away from the noisy environment of the tourist sites.
- Multi-generational travel is considered a trend because many people are interested in it and it was identified as a trend by a travel industry site.
We were able to find 2020 trends related to general, luxury, and baby boomer travel on several business, travel, and marketing sites including LinkedIn, Travel Market Report, Digital Media Solutions, Adventure Student Travel, and Generation Go Travel. We included at least one trend for each type of travel and why they are considered trends.